Association of British Wool Licensees
The British Wool Marketing Board has an established licensing system as part of its promotional activities to encourage manufacturers to use more British grown wool.
Manufacturers on products made from British grown wool or wool blends can use the trademark, but it is necessary for individual companies to become licensed. The License is renewable annually for a fee, to cover administration expenses, particularly the registration of the Trademark in many countries to protect licensees' interests.
To qualify for use of the trademark, products must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be made from 100% British grown wool
- Contain at least 50% British Wool blended with another natural fibre (i.e. other wools, cotton, cashmere etc.)
- Contain at lease 50% British Wool blended with a minimum of 25% natural fibre and a maximum of 25% synthetic fibre
- Carpets Only
- Must contain 50% of British grown wool in all wool pile
- Must contain 40% of British grown wool in an 80% wool/20% nylon pile, or 20% Polypropylene, 10% nylon, 10% meltfibre.
- Please note: minimum pile weights apply to tufted products, dependent on the market.
The Licence is exclusive to the company concerned and cannot be passed on to a third party, unless by our consent. Any other company in the manufacturing to retail chain wishing to be licensed to use the trademark should apply separately to the Marketing Department of the British Wool Marketing Board.
For full details and an application form, please contact the BWMB UK office. All Japanese enquiries should be addressed to our office in Tokyo.